Sunday, February 02, 2003

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Meanwhile, I saw Confessions of a Dangerous Mind upon release, last weekend. As you know, I have been waiting for this, the film version of Chuck Barris' "unauthorized autobiography," to finally be released wide (see another entry below). My opinion is that Director George Clooney did a fine job bringing this together. Sam Rockwell is dead on as Barris. The film is surreal...true to the nature of the book. If you haven't yet read it, by all means do so. The movie has gathered critical acclaim, but I'm a bit worried about how the public took it. It didn't do well during the first weekend. A funny thing happened when I saw it: as the movie ended, an older woman, as she was walking out, abruptly turned to me and asked, "Wasn't that the most awful movie you've ever seen?" Smiling, I gave her my answer: "Why no, I loved it!" She grumbled something and left the theatre. The movie was officially released in NY and LA at the end of 2002 to qualify for this year's Academy Awards. I hope that it is nominated for Best Picture.

No comments: