Friday, April 24, 2009

Technology Tapas: Wikis

Wikis have been a staple of my Internet information searching experience for many years.

I enjoyed the examples given for library-oriented wikis. The ALA Conference wiki was particularly enlightening. I think that libraries can effectively utilize wikis to provide more precise information about their programming efforts. These wikis can then involve library users and employees alike to create resources that will be useful to the library's customers.

My favorite wikis are those that truly engage and involve their users to create a resource that is useful to others. Some examples are:
  • Wikipedia - This is the premiere wiki and, IMHO, one of the best reference resources available to anyone looking to find initial knowledge about practically any subject. I normally begin my information search by utilizing Wikipedia to learn a little about a subject I know nothing about. After using Wikipedia as a starting point, I use the supplied links to find out more information about the subject or initiate my own search elsewhere.
  • WoWWiki - I am a hardcore PC gamer and one of my favorite games is World of Warcraft. I use Wowwiki to find out more detailed information about the game.

No comments: