Thursday, June 01, 2006

My Favorite Books - Pt. 1: My Side of the Mountain

Thus begins a series of entries that will ultimately culminate with a page on DavidLisa.com devoted to my favorite books of all time. First up: My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. This is one of the books that started me on a lifetime of reading. I read it at a very early age, back in the early 1960's. The events in the book have stayed with me since then. The story concerns a boy, Sam Gribley, who lives in the Catskill Mountains wilderness, alone in a carved out tree. It is a classic story of survival, struggle and self-sufficiency. It really taught me many things about resourcefulness...much of which I remember today. This was a Newberry Honor Book. I was delighted to see that, some 30 years after the appearance of the original book, the author wrote a sequel and other books about the main characters.

No comments: